1936 Dodge

May 19, 2020 12:39 PM - 620 Views Create A New Thread

Builder's Corner

By Contact Information
tofol69

Looking for cost involved in turning into a street rod.
I have the opportunity to buy a 1936 Dodge Rumble seat Coupe. The guy did a complete resto years ago but it is in great shape with little miles since. He's only selling because he's in his 80's and has no time to drive it. If I get it I will leave it that way for now since my money will be invested in the car. Not what I'm really looking for but it is a sweet looking ride. The styling is right, just not a rod. He thinks the engine and tranny are original so would this do highway speeds? My big question is how much of an expense would it be to streetrod? I saw in another thread that somebody mentioned that a crate engine could be had for just under $1,800. So a decent tranny should be about $1,000? Then a rear end, about $700? Rims, tires and brake conversion would be about another $2,000? Now I think that a lot more would be needed to convert but those should be the big ticket items. What would you guys think it would take to finish it off with the miscellaneous things then labor? I could do some of the work but it would probably only be a little of it. I know I'm asking a lot without anyone seeing the vehicle but I'm basically looking for just an estimated guess. Sorry for all the questions lately but I'm itching to get into this hobby/lifestyle. I've built a couple of bikes but they were easy. I've always had bikes but just admired hotrods from a distance. I know I should probably wait for a rod that's already done but I really don't want to wait until next winter. My knees are keeping me from enjoying my bike. I can't ride for more than 100 miles or so and around town is even less (well 100 miles in town would be a LOT of riding.) Thank you guys for the help. (again)

1936 Dodge  StreetRodding.com Willie Moore Sell My Hot Rod

SHARE THIS THREAD

StreetRodding.com Is Proud To Have The Following Advertisers Supporting This Site.

Comments
  • stano41
    Jun 1, 2020 at 10:20 PM

• Plymouth wins this one..for 1936. We are glad for you guys..

stano41

• lofat46
    May 31, 2020 at 9:03 PM

• Congratulations. Welcome to the great world of street rodding! You are going to have a blast and meet some very nice people. To further enhance your experience you may want to check out joining the National Street Rod Association and Goodguys or maybe there’s a local club or state club. Nothing like cruising with a bunch of friends and fellow Rodder’s.

• scooting
    May 31, 2020 at 7:38 PM

• And a Happy Ending!
    Congratulations!
    How about pictures and information on the interior and drivetrain?
    We would like to see the rest!
    May your roads be long, fast, and full of memories.

• tofol69
    May 31, 2020 at 6:41 PM

• One bad thing is this mural. This has to go.

• tofol69
    May 31, 2020 at 6:40 PM

• Another one.

• tofol69
    May 31, 2020 at 6:40 PM

• Another angle.

• tofol69
    May 31, 2020 at 6:39 PM

• Well I am ending my search. I found a 1936 Plymouth. Not perfect but it ended up being less than my original budget and 2 towns away. Thanks for all the help.

• scooting
    May 31, 2020 at 12:16 PM

• Another
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/581295182490453
    Chopped

• scooting
    May 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM

• Perhaps this one,
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/298895504433236

• tofol69
    May 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM

• Well I went and saw a couple of others to no avail. A 37 Ford Sedan that appeared to be pretty decent. The ride was okay and had some nice power and sounded good. Upon looking close you see that the running boards were rusting enough to start to "swell" and push the rubber upwards. I knew the paint was old but that doesn't mean that it should be it should have to be bare in some spots that look like it was chipped off and should have been at least sprayed to keep from rusting. The back seat smelled like piss. I knew going in that it needed a headliner and door panels but piss is a tough smell to get rid of. I don't want to have to replace the seats. It wasn't what I was looking for but I could have probably settled for it if it was in better body shape and just needed what was said.
    I also went and looked at a 48 Ford that was way to personalized from the owner and just wasn't to my taste. I knew before going to look at it that I probably wasn't going to get it but I went anyways. Hey, you never know.
    Canceled the ride to look at the Mercury.
    A couple of other duds right from the start but I went anyways and a lot of searching the internet and a lot of driving. I have put 1,000 miles on my truck this week going to look at cars. Why are all the cars for sale located in out of the way places and how come nobody close by is selling anything I like? Or even something decent. I have come to the realization that "turn-key" means a lot of different things. I expected "turn-key" to mean that nothing needs to be done. Interior complete, no mechanical issues, no rattling and shaking. Well come to find out, some think that if you can turn the key and it starts and goes down the road that that means "turn-key".
    I have upped my money by $5,000 - $7,500 more but still not happening and I am getting frustrated by the whole process. It has turned from something exciting to frustration and disappointment and I have seen my mood change. I have 3 or 4 more that I am setting up appointments that are more to my liking and seem to be all they say they are but they are priced a little higher than I want to go so I have to hope that they will settle for my offer. I am thinking that if some shows start to be put on that I can see a lot more cars for sale in one place but I am also thinking that the prices will be jacked-up.
    So that's what's been happening. Frustration. Disappointment. Ready to give up for now. It's starting to make me re-think this whole thing. Maybe I'm just expecting to much.

Sign in to comment.

Find Your Street Rod

For Sale

vintage shifter knob 79.00 each
New $79.00 +$3.00 Shipping (, ) Apr 22

Connect With Us

Advertisers

Quick Links