Very Stcky GM Sterring Wheel

Sep 2, 2014 2:03 PM - 2034 Views Create A New Thread

General Discussions

By Contact Information
gene

Star, MS

sticky steering wheel
This is a strange problem. The steering wheel in my streetrod looks like one off of a 72 - 78 Camaro. It's that plastic 4-spoke unit, that GM used a lot through that period. The previous owner appears to of have liberally coated it with Armour All, I'm guessing. Anyways, it's sticky like fly paper! I thought wet wipes would do the trick, because of the alcohol content, but it only moderates it for a brief time, and still not all the way. Even thought about pulling it and running it through the dishwasher, but decided that might oxidize the plastic, so I decided against that.

Any realistic ideas, without making a total mess of the interior?

Gene
(Ohio)

StreetRodding Post in the forum StreetRodding Willie Moore

SHARE THIS THREAD

StreetRodding.com Is Proud To Have The Following Advertisers Supporting This Site.

Comments
  • edyson82
    May 22, 2017 at 4:19 AM

• I would try Optimum Power Clean. This product is great for removing dirt, bugs and oily grime.

• tazhog54
    Apr 18, 2017 at 11:49 PM

• I just spray it with 409 and a rag and it comes off with a little rubbing then wipe with a semi wet rag with plain water to get the 409 smell off ! Has something to do with the oil from your hands that collects on the material of the wheel ! Have a camaro wheel in my 69 chev p/u that does it clean it a couple times a year !

• will547
    Apr 18, 2017 at 9:25 PM

• That is what I have had to do.. Just installed a new wooden wheel in a 36 Ford. The old GM camaro wheel was very sticky.

• barrybenson
    Apr 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM

• That stuff is terrible! Best of luck getting it off. Perhaps you can save up for a new steering wheel.

• LQQK
    Mar 8, 2017 at 9:26 PM

• I'm on a site called Corvette Forum and this happens a lot most just get a new wheel and start over...

• will547
    Mar 7, 2017 at 4:10 AM

• I have had that issue on Many a wheel!!!

• GeneF
    Mar 6, 2017 at 5:43 PM

• Just an update: after having the car for three years, it was till very sticky. A little laquer thinner on a bounty towel did the trick. Thanks guys!

• bsa_bob
    Sep 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM

• Shines telling you like it is.don't put Laquer thinner on it . It disolves some plastics.I just made that same mistake again, [keep forgetting it] My golf cart yeserday had one tiny fleck of ashalt sealer on it . i put that darned thinner on it. Now i have a dime sized clean spot, with no grain to it ,like the rest of it Other than that, use L/T inner on everything . have no complaints   bob  jmo 55 years worth

that wheel DTMERC HAS IS a good buy!! .I live on the eastside of mich/ they are more money here.use to have 5 of GM sport wheels ,those hanging in a row in my shop.

• dtmerc50
    Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM

• gene, i have a  GM 4 spoke wheel that is in great shape, seems as if it has a seam sewn around it . check out the photo. asking $40.00 plus the ride. thanks, doug. dtmerc50@msn.com.

oh I forgot to mention, this is NOT a plastic one, has some sort of soft covering.

• scooting
    Sep 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM

• You are limiting your shopping to the name brand wheels.  I entered "racing steering Wheels"  and "custom steering wheels" on ebay and found a large amount of really nice wheels in many styles in the $30 - $40 range.  Some even cheaper and with free shipping.  Pitch old sticky in the trash can and look harder.

Sign in to comment.

Find Your Street Rod

For Sale

Tom Deneen
New $39.95 +$0.00 Shipping (Faribault, MN) Jul 19

5.0 Coyote Engine, 6spd. trans, ECU and harness
Used Excellent $3,000.00 Buyer Pay Shipping (Albany, OR) Jun 19

Coker Classic Tires and Wheels
Used Good $500.00 Buyer Pay Shipping (Rosharon, TX) May 29

1953 Hemi
Used Fair Best Offer Buyer Pay Shipping (Rosharon, TX) May 29

1951 Chevy Bel Air Dash