Very Stcky GM Sterring Wheel

Sep 2, 2014 2:03 PM - 1546 Views Create A New Thread

General Discussions

By Contact Information
gene

Star, MS

sticky steering wheel
This is a strange problem. The steering wheel in my streetrod looks like one off of a 72 - 78 Camaro. It's that plastic 4-spoke unit, that GM used a lot through that period. The previous owner appears to of have liberally coated it with Armour All, I'm guessing. Anyways, it's sticky like fly paper! I thought wet wipes would do the trick, because of the alcohol content, but it only moderates it for a brief time, and still not all the way. Even thought about pulling it and running it through the dishwasher, but decided that might oxidize the plastic, so I decided against that.

Any realistic ideas, without making a total mess of the interior?

Gene
(Ohio)

SHARE THIS THREAD

StreetRodding.com Is Proud To Have The Following Advertisers Supporting This Site.

Comments
  • tazhog54
    Apr 18, 2017 at 11:49 PM

• I just spray it with 409 and a rag and it comes off with a little rubbing then wipe with a semi wet rag with plain water to get the 409 smell off ! Has something to do with the oil from your hands that collects on the material of the wheel ! Have a camaro wheel in my 69 chev p/u that does it clean it a couple times a year !

• will547
    Apr 18, 2017 at 9:25 PM

• That is what I have had to do.. Just installed a new wooden wheel in a 36 Ford. The old GM camaro wheel was very sticky.

• barrybenson
    Apr 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM

• That stuff is terrible! Best of luck getting it off. Perhaps you can save up for a new steering wheel.

• LQQK
    Mar 8, 2017 at 9:26 PM

• I'm on a site called Corvette Forum and this happens a lot most just get a new wheel and start over...

• will547
    Mar 7, 2017 at 4:10 AM

• I have had that issue on Many a wheel!!!

• GeneF
    Mar 6, 2017 at 5:43 PM

• Just an update: after having the car for three years, it was till very sticky. A little laquer thinner on a bounty towel did the trick. Thanks guys!

• bsa_bob
    Sep 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM

• Shines telling you like it is.don't put Laquer thinner on it . It disolves some plastics.I just made that same mistake again, [keep forgetting it] My golf cart yeserday had one tiny fleck of ashalt sealer on it . i put that darned thinner on it. Now i have a dime sized clean spot, with no grain to it ,like the rest of it Other than that, use L/T inner on everything . have no complaints   bob  jmo 55 years worth

that wheel DTMERC HAS IS a good buy!! .I live on the eastside of mich/ they are more money here.use to have 5 of GM sport wheels ,those hanging in a row in my shop.

• dtmerc50
    Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM

• gene, i have a  GM 4 spoke wheel that is in great shape, seems as if it has a seam sewn around it . check out the photo. asking $40.00 plus the ride. thanks, doug. dtmerc50@msn.com.

oh I forgot to mention, this is NOT a plastic one, has some sort of soft covering.

• scooting
    Sep 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM

• You are limiting your shopping to the name brand wheels.  I entered "racing steering Wheels"  and "custom steering wheels" on ebay and found a large amount of really nice wheels in many styles in the $30 - $40 range.  Some even cheaper and with free shipping.  Pitch old sticky in the trash can and look harder.

• gene
    Sep 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM

• For the most part these are all very interesting responses to my problem.   I tend to try to not overcomplicate things, and try the simple stuff first.   The Dawn dishwashing liquid seems like it's worth a try, and definately cheap.   It's wrapped now, but you cant wrap everything on the wheel, and I always manage to touch the thing every time I take the car out.   I'd like a new wheel, just seems that they are over priced.   10 or 15 years ago they were cheaper, now that they are everyones finishing touch, they charge what the market will bear.  

I'll try scrubbing it first.

Thanks everyone.

Sign in to comment.

Find Your Street Rod

For Sale

Corvette Valve Covers
Used Good $550.00 Buyer Pay Shipping (Rosharon, TX) Mar 23

1955 Chevy Front Seat
Used Good $575.00 Buyer Pay Shipping (Rosharon, TX) Mar 23

1955 Glass tilt front end
Used Fair $1,300.00 Local Pickup Only (Rosharon, TX) Mar 23

Firestone 600Xl6 Wide Whitewall tires